One of the most important artistic, cultural and historical expression of Veneto. Venetian Villas are one of the most interesting legacy left by the Republic of Venice, a micro-history of noble families and local communities, as well as an artistic heritage of great value. Between the fifteenth and the nineteenth century were built five thousand houses which fulfilled the desire to return to the mainland and the countryside of the Venetian nobility. Among these, 24 of them have been included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The villas are located along the region, particularly in the area of Riviera del Brenta, which we never stop fall in love with.
VILLA FOSCARI DETTA LA MALCONTENTA (Malcontenta – Venezia)
Designed by Palladio on behalf of one of the most prestigious and powerful Venetian families, this villa was completed around 1560. It has a cubic form with a Greek temple front facing the Brenta Canal, a design motif reminiscent of its contemporary design, Villa Rotonda in Vicenza (although there the temple front appears four times, one on each side), and that represents, to some degree, a paradigm of all the Venetian villas.
Next to the villa, during the seventeenth century, there were constructed some terraces, and early in the eighteenth century, a guesthouse and an oratory. After the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797, the villa fell into disuse, and was used as a farm building. During the nineteenth century, and especially during 1848 when Austrian troops used it as a bivouac, the newer parts were demolished thus returning the house to its original configuration. In 1973, after decades of British ownership, it was acquired again by the Foscari family which still owns it.
The origin of the rather curious name, Malcontenta, is uncertain, but there are two theories that have been proposed: a) the area acquired that name as a protest by the local population to frequent flooding; b) a Venetian noblewoman of the Foscari family was locked up in the villa as punishment for adultery, and this imprisonment, obviously, made her malcontent; this second interpretation seems to be a romantic legend that was born in the nineteenth century.
Via dei Turisti, 9 - 30034 Malcontenta di Mira (VE) E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: http://www.lamalcontenta.com/
VILLA PISANI (Stra – Venezia)
Villa Pisani, the “Queen” of the world – famous venetian villas, is one of the main tourist attractions in the Veneto Region. The fine villa of the noble Pisani family lies along the Riviera del Brenta, an ideal extension of Venetian Gran Canal on the land, 10 minutes away from Padua and 20 from Venice. In its 144 rooms doges, kings and emperors were welcomed and nowadays it is a national museum which conserves eighteenth and nineteenth century works of art and furniture, as Gianbattista Tiepolo’s masterpiece, The Glory of the Pisani family, a fresco on the ceiling of the ballroom. “Every step is a new sight and a new beauty”: thus described Villa Pisani garden an enthusiastic traveller in the nineteenth century. As in the past, the garden is enchanting with its flamboyant sights, original architecture, its famous maze, its valuable citrus fruit collection and its greenhouses with plants and flowers, “everything which gives pleasure to the sight and gratifies our taste”, as boasted Almorò Pisani.
Villa Pisani hosts great art exhibition, which draw over 150.000 visitors every year.
Via Doge Pisani 7 - 30039 Stra (Venezia) Telephone: +39.049.502074 Fax: +39.049 9801283 E-mail: email@example.com Web: http://www.villapisani.beniculturali.it/
VILLA FOSCARINI-ROSSI (Stra – Venezia)
The complex is located along the Riviera del Brenta, in the Stra Municipality (Venice). A surrounding wall delimitates the estate, constituted by the house, the guest house, the stable and a small park with trees along the perimeter, lawn areas, a small lake in the north-west part and gardens with flower beds nearby the two main buildings. Two entrances lead directly to the guest house whilst the house has its own lateral entrance through the lodging on its right end side.
The Villa was probably built around at the beginning of the 600 by Vincenzo Scamozzi following the Andrea Palladios designs and was re-touched in the neoclassical period by Giuseppe Jappelli. The early owners were the Foscarini, followed by the Negrelli and, from 1988 the Rossi family, owner of the Rossimoda shoe factory.
The gentlemens house is constituted by a three storey block with the tripartite main front. In the central part, on a base which is as high as the main floor, stands a jutting pronaos made up of eight Ionic columns supporting the denticulate facade surmounted by three statues with an expansive loggia of the main floor. The lateral parts present the three classical series of openings; the ground floor windows and of the loggia are decorated in the upper part by rectangular terracotta tiles whilst the central portal (not in use today) by a lunette. At the extremities of the building, the chapel and the actual entrance, both with an ample terrace on the covering corresponding to the main floor and, at the top, four garish pinnacles.
The interiors are traditional: central hall and minor rooms at the sides. Traces of fresco paintings are visible on the staircase; valuable are the temperas in the Gothic and Egyptian room.
Isolated from the Villa, the guest house shows remarkable architectural and decorative qualities. On the south facade there is an ample portico with Sansovinian ceiling and decorations (today not too visible) at the completion of the walls. Inside, we find the boardroom central block with the saloon completely decorated with fresco paintings of the 1652 by Domenico De Bruni (prospective painter from Brescia), at the sides the staircase and the secondary rooms. The basement, accessible from the north end side, has ceilings with cruciform vault and wood truss. The attic is instead all occupied by an ample space, with central, the emerging part of the salon on triple height.
Nowadays, the Villa has become home of the Shoe Museum, the guest house is for conferences, meetings and concerts and the stables as private residence of some individuals of the Rossi family.
Via Doge Pisani 1/2 - 30039 Stra - Venezia - Italia Web: http://www.villafoscarini.it/ Villa management and secretarial office: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Museo:e-mail: email@example.com
VILLA TITO (Dolo – Venezia)
You canvisit the park, the noble floor, cedraia and oratory.
It is the “Painter House”, the house in which Ettore Tito (1859-1941) lived in this century. Here, in this supposedly nineteenth-century building, the artist designed the most beautiful among his canvases. The son Luigi picked up the spiritual heritage, drawing by the amenity of the place the inspiration for his brush strokes.
Via E. Tito, 12 - Dolo (VE) E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
VILLA VALMARANA (Mira – Venezia)
Via Valmarana n° 11, 30034 Mira (Venezia) Tel.: 041/4266387 Cell: 349-497-7690 Web: www.villavalmarana.net - email:email@example.com
VILLA WIDMANN REZZONICO FOSCARI (Mira – Venezia)
The Villa which includes the gentlemens house with garden and the nearby court, the barchessa, the small church and the vast park northward with greenhouse, enriched with 700 statues, numerous plant species and a little lake is located along the Riviera del Brenta, in the Mira Council (Venice), in the Riscossa village.
Its construction is attributed to the Venetian designer Andrea tirali whom is thought he built it in 1719 for the Seriman, a noble Venetian family of Persian origins. Towards half of the 700 the property passed to the Widmann whom modified the the house in its central part adding the crossed attic and enriching the interiors with refined decorations. Later, the Villa passed to the Contarini del Zaffo and to the Bentivoglio. In 1883 was bought by Francesco Somazzi, but sooner went back to the Widmann (1901), thanks to the descendent Elisabetta. In 1970 Elisabettas son sold it to commendatore Settimo Costanzo.
Above a brief flight of steps of a mixtilinear design, the loggia to the atrium opens up, slightly jutting and supported by four columns. In proportion to the loggia, at the attic level there is a curved tympan bearing a noble coat of arms made of wrought iron in the centre and acroterions above. If at the main floor the openings are rectangular shaped with simple windowsills with overhanging architraves, those of the upper floors are much larger and furnished with little balconies with wrought iron windowsills, decorated under the windowsill with marble stones and underlined with curvilinear ledges. The villa, is characterised by an expansive arcade which faces the villa and develops internally around a paved courtyard: the east wing hosted the horse stables and the granary, the south-west one the service personnels apartments and the guest house. East, next to the rustic, the little consecrated church were are buried Elisabetta and Arianna Widmann.
Passed the ample hall of the gentlemens house, we enter the party hall, deployed over a double floor with a small balcony in wrought iron and golden elements, from which there is access to the secondary rooms and the staircase. The decorations are very rich: walls and ceilings painted with mythological scenes, deliberately rococo, polychromatic belts attributed to Giuseppe ngeli and Girolamo Mengozzi Colonna, plasters, original floorings and original vintage furnishing.
Numerous famous people had been hosted in this Villa, like Pope Clemente XIII, Pio X, Carlo Goldoni, Gabriele DAnnunzio, Gian Francesco Malipiero and Igor Strawinsky. During the Second World War it was home of a hospital.
Nowadays the complex is owned by the Province of Venice and utilised for exibitions and cultural events.
Via Nazionale 420 - Mira E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.riviera-brenta.it
VILLA VELLUTI (Sambruson – Venezia)
Villa Velluti, located in Sambruson, was the building in which the famous soprano Giovan Battista Velluti (1780-1861) chose to spend the last years of life, captured by the charm of the Riviera and the slow flow of the waterway. To embellish the house and celebrate the art that made him famous, he wanted on the roof statues of musicians and musical instruments. In the past, the villa housed a music center named Mimi Velvet. The eighteenth-century villa in its south part has undergone an extension of the bodies of service due to the economic activity by previous owners. The park is also an oratory.
Villa not available. Via E. Tito 14/16/18/20/22 - 30030 Sambruson , Dolo (Ve) - Riva destra
VILLA BADOER FATTORETTO (Sambruson – Venezia)
In Sambruson lies Villa Badoer Fattoretto, build in the first half of 700. Summer residence of the Badoer family, until 1945 it housed Carlo De Chantal; during the Second World War, the Germans turned the villa into a military hospital. The current owners, Fattoretto family, bought it after the First World War. Subsequently affected by modernization, today the villa shows itself as an elegant building, in excellent condition. Interesting a legend that tells of the existence of a mysterious treasure buried in the park, while in the inside is a guarded exhibition of documents relating to local history, but especially there is the rich “Museum of old crafts.”
Via Badoera, 50 - 30031 Dolo (Venezia) Web: http://www.fattoretto.com/
VILLA BRUSONI SCALELLA (Sambruson – Venezia)
The seventeenth-century complex has two buildings: the “barchessa” with the oratory and the manor house, whose rooms are perfectly aligned creating a valuable perspective game. The villa is private but it can be visited the nineteenth century park attributed to the architect Giuseppe Jappelli, the mill, the neo-Renaissance tower with the ice house, the fisherman’s cottage located on the main lake, the home of the deer.
Private Villa Privata, only park tour (by reservation). Via E. Tito 76 - Dolo (Ve) - Riva destra tel. 041421621 cell. 340.4963894
VILLA VENIER (Mira)
It was built at the end of the Sixteenth century, on the left bank of the Brenta, by the Venier family and it has been inhabited from this family for about two centuries. In 1700 it became the property to Contarini of San Trovaso family and then to Barbarigo of Padua family. At that time Orsetta Barbarigo organized there magnificent sumptuous parties and performances. It was later inhabited by Manin family, then by Cipollato family. Subsequently, an admirer gave it to the singer Adelaide Borghi-Mauro. Between the end of the Nineteenth century and 1955 lived in other families: Guadalupi, Menin, Rampazzo (1921) and Capuzzo (from 1933 to 1955). It then went to the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of Blessed Imelda, currently owned by the Veneto Region.
The complex of the Villa, set in a discreet park, consists of a central body initially with a square, two detached guest quarters or “Barchesse” and an oratory with attached adjacent to the east side. Currently, the main body is rectangular because in the early Nineteenth century it was enlarged by the addition of small rooms on both sides for the full height. Perhaps this expansion is the work of Carboni architect who, and this is certain, he added arcades to connect the two “Barchesse” to the central body. The “Barchessa” or guesthouse on the left (west) consists of a basement with vaulted ceilings, three living rooms decorated with frescoes on the portico in front of a five-arched bays now closed by wooden doors and windows. The “Barchessa” on the right (east) consists of a living room well decorated with frescoes, of stables, of stores and on the attic floor to the rooms for the servants. It is also equipped with a seven spans portico now closed in part by window frames and in part (last two arcs) from the masonry. The Oratory that currently exists at the southeast corner of the property was rebuilt in 1752.
Via Capitello Albrizzi n°3, 30034 - Mira (Ve) tel. +39 041 5235606 fax +39 041 5225219 Web: http://www.irvv.net/en/la-sede/villa-venier-contarini.html Secretary: e-mail: email@example.com Booking Information Office: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org tel. +39 041 5240119 fax +39 041 717771
VILLA BREDA (Padova)
At the entrance of the city of Padua, crossed the bridge over the Brenta, in the village called Ponte di Brenta, is Villa Breda. In the mid-1600s, the noble Venetian Contarini built in this place, a villa, as a venue for recreation in the countryside. The villa, owned in the past over the centuries, has been restored in its present form from 1859 to 1865 by the famous architect Antonio Caregaro Negrin Vicenza, commissioned by the great STEPHEN VINCENT BREDA. Inside, an Italian garden with boxwood paths, surrounded by majestic hornbeam, embellished with stone statues of bizarre shapes and exotic. A majestic boulevard stretches along in front of the villa, still graced by statues of the same shape and hornbeam soaring. The gaze is lost over, in the distance revealing a large park with majestic century-old trees.
The interior of the villa has maintained the typical plant of Venetian villas of the Venetian nobility, as it was in its original properties. Very few people know that a large part of the glorious history of the city and the economic development of the nineteenth century were “built” in this place. Very few know of the extraordinary environmental and landscape value of this place, starting already from the time when our mighty river Brenta slow and meandering across the center of the country. Today the villa is involved in a proposed redevelopment of the sites and the recovery of abandoned premises.
Via San Marco n° 219 – Ponte di Brenta – Padova
VILLA CONTARINI (Padova)
The Villa stands on the ruins of an ancient castle built by the Dente family around the year 1000. Later it became a property of the Carraresi family, who were the rulers of Padua, and was then inherited by a member of the Contarini family. The Villa was a farmhouse up until the mid-17th century: Marco Contarini, Procurator of St Mark, expanded the building making it a palace and an extremely picturesque place. After a long period of neglect, the Camerini family bought the estate, and brought it back to its old splendour, decorating it following the eclectic 19th century style. Subsequently the Villa went through a new period of neglect until the mid-20th century, when it was purchased by Professor G.E. Ghirardi and was assigned to the Foundation bearing his name. Since 2005 the Villa has been a property of the region of Veneto, which is currently working at its development and enhancement. It is regularly used as the venue for concerts and cultural events, as well as being available as the ideal location for conferences, meetings, and public and private receptions.
Via L. Camerini, 1, 35016 Piazzola sul Brenta PD Ticket office tel. 049 5590347 Administrative office tel. 049 8778272-73 – Fax 049 9619016 E-mail: email@example.com
VILLA DEI VESCOVI (Luvigliano, Padova)
The wonderful correspondence between nature and human work that characterizes the villa acquires even greater value when the original destination of the villa is considered. Built as a summer home, it was conceived as a place to rest and to idle in total peace. It soon became a meeting place for humanists and scholars, a very important cultural center and source of inspiration for poets, philosophers and artists, who drew upon the wonder of the nature surrounding Villa dei Vescovi.
This same aim drove FAI to restore this splendid heritage to all of us: a place not only to visit, rather to live, where you can take a walk, idle and relax, read a book, drink a coffee, or have a picnic. Unlike other sites, at Villa dei Vescovi we can stroll in the park and vineyards; we can lounge on sofas or on the lawn; we can get lost in our thoughts in the cosy wicker armchairs under the loggias.
Both the villa interior and the loggias were frescoed by the Flemish artist Lambert Sustris, who represented the merging of architecture and nature in his work. In fact, on the interior walls the artist painted arches and landscapes, alongside visions of faraway sea or country horizons. This concept of merging art and nature can be particularly noted in the loggias: in fact, Sustris painted arbours with reeds and grapevines, with the intention of continuing the view of the surrounding landscape, visible through the arcades. The arches of the loggias therefore become frames for this wonderful landscape, painted by nature. In any direction you look, you will find the peacefulness of a landscape that has remained unchanged over the centuries: green hills, gentle slopes, fields, and vineyards. All you have to do is settle in and languish on one of the numerous sofas both inside the villa and in the shade of the loggias, or have a seat in the self-service café or at one of the tables in the garden. Enjoy the villa, live it and relax.
Via dei Vescovi, 4 - Luvigliano di Torreglia